Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sti Logi

SOME GLOSA WORDS SEEM DIFFICULT TO PRONOUNCE.  WHY?

Short answer:  Every language has distinctive consonant clusters.  Glosa has inherited its from Latin and Greek.  Many other languages have inherited them too.

If there is one thing I can add to the textbooks to make the pronunciation simpler:

One thing that irks me at Christmas time is when I hear the Latin GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO, and the choir pronounces EXCELSIS “eks-tchel-sees.”  It should be pronounced “ek-shel-sees.”  The S-sound from the X combines with the soft C to produce the SH-sound.

Glosa follows the pronunciation rules of Italian and Church Latin.  They don't go for such difficult consonant clusters.  I think this will make the following words a little easier to pronounce:

excele
excepti
excesi
excite

I also pronounce PLUS-CO “ploo-shoh,” EX CIVITA “ek-shee-vee-tah,” etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment