Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sti Logi

DO YOU ALWAYS NEED TO PUT U(N) OR PLU BEFORE A NOUN?


Short answer: You don't have to use them at all, but frequent use of U(N)/PLU makes Glosa easier to understand.

Long answer:

I know why this question comes up. If you're translating from English, you've probably noticed that many times we use no articles before a noun; to compound the problem, often these are collective nouns-- nouns we don't normally count, like water, salt, snow-- so how do you know whether to use U(N) "one" or PLU "more than one"?

The easy thing to do is just skip U(N)/PLU all together. I try not to skip it, and this is how I solved the problem:

Consider the English word FREEDOM. FREEDOM is a collective noun; that is, we don't count "one freedom, two freedoms, three freedoms...." But one person might say:

The freedom we enjoy....

Another person might say:

The freedoms we enjoy....

Why does one use the singular and one use the plural? In the second example, the speaker is thinking of KINDS of freedom, perhaps "freedom of speech," "freedom of the press," etc.

So when I come across a noun, I ask myself: How many different KINDS am I talking about? If it's more than one kind, I use PLU, or if it's only one kind, I use U(N).

Another way to understand this is, if "the freedom" sounds like a passable English noun phrase, then saying "a freedom" [Glosa: U LIBE] should be correct in Glosa.

No, this doesn't solve all problems. And it is just my personal solution. Rather than force my solution on anyone, I would encourage you to take logic in hand, come up with your own solution, and use it consistently. Glosa is flexible enough to handle such individualism.

No comments:

Post a Comment